The SoftLab Research Group
SoftLab is a research laboratory belonging to the Department of Engineering “Enzo Ferrari”, University of Modena and Reggio Emilia, Italy.
Research in SoftLab covers topics of Software Engineering, Data Analysis, Data Management and Natural Language Processing. Softlab studies and implements innovative software applications in particular in the following fields:
- Big data management, with the aim of efficiently storing and retrieving data in large collections of datasets
- Big data analysis, for discovering trends and patterns in the data, performing classification, regression operations, market analysis.
- Machine Learning in production, by bridging the gap between proof of concepts and software applications working in real world envirnments.
- Big data creation and integration, where the problem is to create large collections of data (via web scraping and/or data integration), to identify similar entities in the collection (entity discovery and resolution), and to align the data source schemas.
- Workflow management and Process Mining.
- Application of NLP technologies to textual data (word embeddings created via Deep Learning and transformers)
- Application of Data Mining, Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence to relational databases.
SoftLab is available for participating in research and training projects with other Universities and Research Centers and with Companies.
SoftLab belongs to the Artificial Intelligence Research and Innovation Center AIRI of the Modena Technopole.